Friday, September 4, 2009

HOMECOMING!!!

We were all so glad that today was finally here. DADDY came home!! Yep, my dh came home today and it was awesome! We got over to the base and down the pier JUST as the USS George Washington came around the corner with all the men in their handsome white uniforms manning the rails. 
It was so emotional!! I have to say that besides seeing my dh for the first time, seeing the ship with all the rails manned is my favorite part! The kids kept asking me questions and I couldn't talk. They said "Mommy are you crying?" and all I could do was nod. It truly is a beautiful site to see a ship the size of the Empire State building  with enough men to surround the entire perimeter (and there were still thousands inside) coming towards you. And it is absolutely AMAZING at how the tug boats are coordinated to swing it around in such a small space (small in comparison to the ship that is) so that they "back-in".
 
 

It took about an hour to get the ship into place, moor the lines and set up the walk-ways. However, it did not take that long to spot DADDY! Of course, anyone that knows my dh, knows that he is a character! He loves to stand out and be seen. He made sure to wear his sunglasses and trust me, he was the ONLY one wearing his sunglasses (as funny as that sounds - I'm not sure if they are actually allowed to wear them since they are standing at attention and the glasses are not "part" of the uniform). He also makes sure to flail his arms and jump around! LOL!! That's why I love my guy!
 
 

It turned out to be a beautiful day. They called for rain and a few times, we thought it might but nope, the sun came out and there was an awesome breeze (I got sunburned and didnt even realize it). 
The kids had a blast, especially since there were a lot of their friends there who's dads were also on the ship. There was music, food and fellowship. It was a grand day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment